Monday, October 1, 2007

First words!

Beatrice has spent most of today waving and saying bye-bye, except that it sounds more like an airline stewardess from the South ("Bah-bi...bye-bye-bye-bye"). Who knew she'd have such a strong southern accent?
Going away last week was tough for me. Beatrice was perfectly fine, of course. Sarah B said she crawled into my office looking for me a few times on Thursday and Friday, but otherwise was fine. My heart just broke when I heard that, but both (delayed) sets of plane trips there and back convinced me I was very glad Beatrice wasn't with me. Flying alone is such a luxury. I even read a book! And I got to go to dinner with my cousin Zane and her husband John in Chicago on Friday night!

When I finally saw Beatrice on Saturday morning, she seemed happy enough to see me, and I was so overjoyed to see her I forgot to take pictures. Zack did take one of us watching The Muppets Take Manhattan. Beatrice was enthralled...for about 3 minutes. Saturday afternoon we headed out into the country to go to a BBQ at a colleague of Zack's house, er...ranch. A pool, a small vineyard and the horses make it a ranch, I guess. Beatrice was an angel the whole time, especially with 10 kids all under 15 to watch running around.
On Sunday we took it easy. And I took lots of pictures of Beatrice. Yawning. Surreptitiously sucking her thumb under cover of stuffed animals. Eating. Watching Daddy cook. Standing, dropping something, bending down to get it (much easier than walking), and getting up again. Yeah, I missed her.


So all in all, it was really tough to leave her, even for just 2.5 days, but I knew she was in excellent hands. And that made all the difference.

No comments: